Tuesday, July 3, 2007

mansef




I forgot to mention one important detail in my last post! Last week we also enjoyed mansef, Jordan's national dish, which consists of rice with slivers of almond and huge chunks of lamb. They top the whole thing off by pouring a thin yogurt sauce which resembles a bouillon which gives the dish a lot of flavor. You're supposed to eat the dish with your hands, which we tried but didn't continue with as we were trying to be all dainty (in retrospect I don't really understand that since no one would be entering our haven of estrogen anyway). Originally they used camel meat but I think it became too expensive so they switched to lamb. I'm sad to say that we didn't savor a truly ethnic experience as our dish didn't include the best part...the animal's head.


Oh well, I didn't particularly want to practice Arabic with my dinner anyway.

1 comment:

karen isenhour said...

looks like a really "tasty" midnight snack...not......